Its holiday season and I hope you are all looking forward to having some time away from work with your families. Unfortunately this time of year can be a hectic time as you prepare to leave work for your trip away. Often here at the Tettenhall chiropractic Clinic, we will have patients call our clinic one or two days before they are due to travel having suffered from a neck, mid back or low back injury while rushing to pack, prepare their car or carry heavy cases.
Here are a few ideas: how to avoid the aches and pains that can be experienced when packing and
Packing is probably the most important task when going on holiday. This is where your lists
will come in handy!
Here are a few tips on packing:
- Select a sturdy case with wheels.
- When packing, place the case on the bed and not on the floor. This will save you bending.
- Travel light, you may not use much of the stuff you take anyway!
- Take clothes that you can mix and match, as this will save you over-packing.
- Check that your hotel has a hairdryer to save the weight in your bag.
- Take only as much shampoo, suntan lotion etc as you will need. Bulky containers take up a lot of room.
- Distribute your items between cases, especially if your travel partner is travelling slightly lighter.
You may think that all the stresses and strains are put on hold while you travel, but that isn’t the case.
Sitting in one position for hours can do as much damage to the body and spine as overexertion.
Here are a few tips while you travel:
- Try not to sit for too long in a car, plane, train or bus.
- Move around whenever you can and stretch out your legs.
- Stop the car every two hours for a ten minute walk to stretch your legs, back and shoulders.
- Stretches are extremely important and a lack of movement can lead to tiredness, swollen legs and sore joints.
- You can become dehydrated in compact environments, so keep drinking those fluids. Avoid alcohol.
- If the journey is a long one, why not have a nap.
- Bring a cosy cushion with you and try not to arch to the left or right while sleeping.
Exercises while travelling on a plane
- Move your head in a circle, nice and slowly, ten times.
- Roll your shoulders, five forwards and five backwards.
- Stretch out your arms in front of you and circle your wrists gently, five circles left then right.
- Stand up and raise your heels to stretch your legs.
- Plant your heels and raise your toes (you will have to sit for this one).
- Place your hands on your armrests and raise your knees slowly.
- Move your pelvis forward and backwards while seated.
From everybody at Tettenhall Chiropractic Clinic we wish you a safe and relaxing holiday.